Wednesday, November 24, 2010

WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT TRAVEL AGENTS

Abu Samad Othman says:

Yes, travel agents are great for complicated trips. But let me tell you that t/a's are also good for simply ol' airfares (if you don't mind paying the usual service charge). I have often used agents wedsites as well as the airlines web sites and time and time again, the travel agent with his/her "Sabre" computer program has come up with fares that are often cheaper and less roundabout (changes etc) that what the web agents have found. Plus, a good agent may have a trick (legitimate) or two up his or her sleeve that can really help my itinerary, viva, travel agents!!

Elaine Heng says:

Travel agents have access to specials that the average person can not obtain. They also do your legwork. I have found that if I search the internet for my best rates for hotels, cruises, or resorts, my agent usually gets me a better rate and often an upgrade to boot. Find a trustworthy agent, do your own research, then see what thay have to offer. This does not apply to airfare however.

Mike Arumugam says:

When traveling abroad to a new destination, having a travel agent who has actually been there is a huge plus. They can clue you in to decent restaurants and hotels, they would know what kind of documentation you would need to pass through customs, and give you the lowdown on attractions.

Face to face is still the best way to do business and it's sad that the Travel Agent is considered an obsolete commodity these days.

Nancy Leong says:

I had an aunt and uncle who would tell their travel agent when they had a vacation coming up and the agent would find a great trip for them year after year.


We are the same way, willing to go just about anywhere for vacation. No set destination in mind so a local agent that could find us a good deal would be invaluable to us. We are also inexperienced travelers and speaking/planning face to face with an expert would make us much less anxious.

Aminah Hassan says

I am a die-hard DIY traveler; my mother is a travel agent. While I enjoy spending hours and hours plotting my trip, dealing with accidental detours, and talking my way out of sticky situations, others don't have the leisure.

I've watched my mom help navigate countless families and newlyweds through otherwise foreign terrain. No matter how long I spend researching on my laptop, I'll never discover the little things she knows firsthand from visiting the places she books. She specializes in the South Pacific and has traveled there extensively. She knows all kinds of little details--that the airport in Nadi lets you store extra baggage you don't want to lug with you up to Taveuni, for instance. Or that the beach on one side of the island gets more seaweed then the other. More importantly, when sh*t hits the fan my mom's clients have her cell number.

Once she even rescued my vacation. I made flight reservations online with Air Asia for my boyfriend and I. Unbeknownst to me, my computer had autofilled our last names--his ticket arrived with my last name on it. The company cited their no-refund, no-exchange policy and refused to help. They suggested I buy a whole new ticket! After a few hours on the phone, my travel agent mom and her buddies ironed it out. Whew! It was a disaster no amount of DIY-elbow grease would have helped.

After reading all of the thank you notes my mom gets (which include wedding invitations, photo albums, and the occasional Coach wallet) I can't recommend real, live travel agents highly enough.

If this sounds like an unabashed love letter to my mom, well, sorry. Travel agents aren't all as conscientious as she is, I'm sure. But if they even come close, you'll be in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment